Saturday, 18 December 2010

Nurse Harlot

I felt much better yesterday but Virgil got ill.

He texted: I'm on my way home in a minute. Please make sure it's warm!!

Then: I'm outside in the freezing cold in flipping G__...

Half an hour later there was a knock. It was Virgil, too poorly to get his keys out of his pocket. Shaking with cold, he staggered to the sofa. I helped him with his duffle coat and laptop bag and he burrowed, speechless, under the duvet I brought him. I brought hot Ribena with honey and Lemsip in the special mug I am not allowed to drink coffee from.

He cheered up as he thawed. Eventually he felt well enough to eat a pizza and watch BMX Bandits, although he sweated and shivered through the night.

Virgil has a theatrical side. Why am I so hot and cold? he moans. I tell him to stop being a drama queen. Then I get annoyed with him when he tinkers with an email I've asked for his help with. I discard the draft he has changed only to find I've lost a very carefully composed message and am furious. Never discard a draft in Gmail!

Virgil must have reinfected me because today I'm getting worse. At least our timing means we are both almost certain to be well for Christmas. There may even be sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment