Wednesday, 21 April 2010

The Ethical Slut

Oh where the fuck is my copy of The Ethical Slut?

The only reason I'm blogging right now is because I can't find it anywhere and I want to read it. Indeed, starting this blog and reading The Ethical Slut were my plans for this evening, while I have the flat to myself.

I have vague memories of lending it to someone, I can't remember who. Probably no one. I always think I've lent things to people who have then not returned them: books, clothes, equipment, anything that can conceivably be lent in a moment of generosity (or opportunism on the part of the recipient), when I want to share my good book/outfit/Leki walking poles/strap-on harness/spare bike light, whatever it is that I am now hunting furiously for. The book's probably in storage. I've searched his bookshelves but Virgil's probably got his copy out already (or it's at the bottom of a pile of mess). Since the date bombshell and all the fallout that's ensued, we agreed we probably both need to read it again. Or was it only me?

I was introduced to The Ethical Slut about years ago by Erin, a dreamy Nova Scotian psychiatric nurse my then-boyfriend Isaac introduced me to when I lived with him for some months in British Columbia one winter. Before I showed up, Erin had been a lover of Isaac's and harboured a massive crush, even though she was seriously trying out the idea of girls (mostly by living in a lesbian houseshare, joining a women's street hockey team and having crushes on her teammates).

Soon after I arrived Erin took me for a walk up a mossy, waterlogged lump of rock called the Chief's Face or something. Halfway to the top we smoked some British Columbian weed and as I tottered, almost hallucinating and gasping for breath, up the last ascent, Erin told me about The Ethical Slut. This almost legendary book, written by two amazing, inspirational, Californian, polyamorous, kinky, hippy, motherly goddess types, is one that simply everyone with any pretensions or aspirations to a sexually liberated lifestyle should read, she told me. And then she started talking about threesomes.

Actually that's my precis of it. I read The Ethical Slut from cover to cover and really drank the Kool Aid, in theory at least. Isaac, Erin and I had our threesome. Then Isaac and Erin had an illicit fuck behind my back which wasn't really in the spirit of things, and I was annoyed mostly because it was a sneaky drunken fuck, but Isaac and I were breaking up by then. Isaac and I had make-up sex; Erin and I made up. I went back to London. Years passed.

When I've read it again I'll tell you about it.

1 comment:

  1. I hate it when people borrow things and I don't get them back....Half of my CD Collection GONE!

    Try Ebay.

    ReplyDelete