Friday, 13 August 2010

Slut-shame

I confess, until last week I did not know it was a word. Then someone sent me this piece by Laurie Penny. It's a thoughtful article about the word 'sexualisation' and how it is being bandied about my proponents of today's moral panic about girl's and young women's sexuality. Slut-shaming comes in in the last paragraph and some newspaper sub has seen fit to make it the subject of the headline: Stop this slut-shaming. I don't know why, but I had expected better journalism from the Guardian (or less prurience at any rate).

So I posted a reply saying I liked the article but not the headline and what was this verb 'to slut-shame'? Was someone trying to start a new word off. Slut-shame sounds like bitch-slap and donkey-punch, nasty misogynist words that they are.

My own relationship with the word 'slut' started with my adventures on internet sex sites and ended with a forfeit in a game with Virgil in which he challenged me to stop using it to describe myself. More about that later, because I'm in trouble for making us late to go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment