Monday, 23 May 2011

Upshot

I had the dreaded meeting and it was about as bad as it could have been. I don't know why some people think it is more ethical to make you wait three days in unpleasant anticipation and make you go to them just so that they can give you a month's notice in person rather than sending an email. It reminds me that even the most heinous bastards tend to think they inhabit the moral high ground.

I stop for a quick mental image of the moral high ground. It's a tiny patch of dry earth, surrounded by a flood of biblical proportions, on which villains, murderers and ne'er-do-wells cluster, all trying to keep their scaly feet dry.

Now I have to find somewhere new to work from and quite quickly too. This is inconvenient and potentially embarrassing. I will have to come up with some kind of explanation for this for my clients. I might just be honest and cite personal differences and un-met expectations. I will take a lesson from this. I don't think I handled the situation very well and I definitely should have insisted in advance on a much more formal arrangement, even if it meant that I never worked there in the first place.

That's probably as much cryptic regret as anyone needs to be subjected to in a day. Tomorrow I'll start looking for new places. Now I'm going to go and do some gardening in the sun and wind, and I might call the New Boy, who just emailed me his phone number.  

No comments:

Post a Comment